SFK Press seeks book-length fiction by fearless authors. Our mission is to tell a million tales of y’all mean ALL, with a Southern accent.
We especially encourage submissions from indigenous, LGBTQIA+, disabled, current or previously incarcerated, and non-binary people, women, and people of color.
The winner will receive a $1500 advance towards and a publishing contract with SFK Press.
There is no fee to submit a manuscript.
All manuscripts will be considered for publication.
The contest closes at midnight on June 1, 2019 at 11:59pm
Finalists will be notified by July 1.
The winner will be announced on August 7.
2019 Judge: Devi S. Laskar
Devi S. Laskar is a native of Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She holds an MFA from Columbia University, an MA in South Asian Studies from the University of Illinois and a BA in journalism and English from UNC-Chapel Hill. A former newspaper reporter, she is now a novelist, poet, photographer and artist. Her work has appeared or is forthcoming from such journals Rattle, Tin House, and Crab Orchard Review. She is an alumna of both The OpEd Project and VONA, among others, and has published two poetry chapbooks with Finishing Line Press. Her debut novel, The Atlas of Reds and Blues (Counterpoint Press), was released this past February and grapples with the complexities of the second-generation American experience, what it means to be a woman of color in the workplace, and a sister, a wife, and a mother to daughters in today’s America.
The contest is open to everyone except for close personal friends and family members of SFK employees and the judge. Current and former SFK employees are also not eligible. Please contact us if you have concerns regarding your eligibility.
Cover Letter Guidelines
- Your contact information (full name, email address, phone number, mailing address)
- A synopsis of your project
- Word count
- A brief personal bio
- Any writing/publishing credits or history you may have
- Your professional website and social media handle if applicable
- How you heard about SFK Press and/or our contest
Marketing Outline Guidelines
The author’s role in the book publishing process is critical at all stages. While SFK Press provides full-scale editorial, design, and marketing services at no cost to the author, we want to know that our authors will help us sell their books and fulfill our mission to tell a million tales of y’all means all.
Please attach a 1-2 page outline of ways you intend to promote your book, including:
- Readings at local bookstores and other venues
- Virtual book tours (especially if you’re unable to travel)
- Events and conferences you will attend
- Authors you will ask for blurbs
- Readers who will review your book
- Literary prizes to which you will submit your book
This outline will not only help SFK Press envision whether or not your work is the right fit for us; it will also help you envision what kind of home you’re seeking for your work.
- Include your contact information on the title page (full name, email address, phone number, mailing address)
- Include your full name and email address in the document header
- Double-space the entire text
Please note: We DO NOT consider entries that do not include the above three files (query letter, marketing plan, complete manuscript). If any of these are missing, we will consider your submission incomplete and delete it.